EECE 315 (Section 101): Operating Systems
Winter 2013 (Term 1: Sep 03, 2013 to Nov 29, 2013)
Course Description (from UBC Calendar)
- Operating systems, their design and their implementation. Process concurrency, synchronization, communication and scheduling. Device drivers, memory management, virtual memory, file systems, networking and security.
- Pre-reqs: EECE 210 (or EECE 309) and CPSC 261. (Note: for September 2013, EECE 201 may be a co-req as opposed to pre-req).
Announcements (in reverse chronological order)
- Sept 3: See all course contents and announcements on the Connect section of the course from this point forward.
- The first lecture will be on Thu September 5 at 11 am.
- Announcements will be posted here in reverse chronological order for now. Connect will be used instead soon.
- Time: Tue/Thu (11:00 - 12:30)
- Place: West Mall Swing Space 222
- Laboratory: Thu 1:00-3:00PM / Thu 3:30-5:30PM
- Place: McLeod/Dept. Comp Lab Rooms (MCLD 358)
Note 1: The eBook (digital edition) of this textbook is also available (much cheaper). Check with UBC Bookstore or coursesmart.
- A. Silberschatz, P.B. Galvin, and G. Gagne, Operating System Concepts, 9th edition, Wiley, 2013.
* You can see a free trial for the eTextbook here: http://www.coursesmart.com/IR/1881523/9781118063330?__hdv=6.8
Note 2: The lectures, references to the textbook, assignments, etc will be based on this edition of the textbook.
- G. Nutt, Operating Systems, 3rd edition, Addison Wesley, 2004.
- A. Tannenbaum, Operating Systems - the Minix book, 3rd edition, Prentice-Hall, 2006.
- A. Silberschatz, P.B. Galvin, and G. Gagne, Operating System Concepts, 8th edition, Wiley, 2009
References or Recommended Textbooks:
- Linux Kernel (e.g. Understanding The Linux Kernel, 3rd edition, O'reilly)
- R. Stevens, Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment, Addison Wesley.
- W. Stallings, Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles, 6th edition, Prentice-Hall, 2009.
- M. Jipping, Smartphone Operating System Concepts with Symbian OS, Wiley, 2007
- A. Tannenbaum, Modern Operating Systems, 3rd edition, Prentice-Hall, 2008.
- A. Silberschatz, P.B. Galvin, and G. Gagne, Operating System Concepts with Java, 8th edition, Wiley, 2010.
- Course notes, and additional practice problems and solutions
- We will use iClicker in this course.
- We will use the programming language C extensively. Make sure to refresh your programming skills including pointers and structures.
Office hour for the week before the exam:
- Farshid Agharebparast
- Office: Kaiser 3045
- E - mail: farshid [at ece.ubc.ca] (Include EECE 315 in the subject)
- Office hour: Tue/Thur 1:10-2:00 PM (or by appointment)TBA
- Maryam Azimi
- E - mail: maryama [at ece.ubc.ca]
- See TA's FAQ webpage
- Saba Alimadadi
- E - mail: saba [at ece.ubc.ca]
- Office hour and location:
- TBA (or by appointment)
- Midterm exam: TBA (See WebCT)
- Final exam: TBA [See http://www.students.ubc.ca/current/exams.cfm#EECE]
Course Notes - Projects/Assignments
- Note: Starting Sept 3, you will have access to the course documents, notes, ... through the Connect section of the course (see the announcement above).